- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Pepper to taste
- 5 Johnsonville® Smoked Brats, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, sauerkraut, wine or broth, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, caraway seeds, bay leaf and pepper. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the bratwurst; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Brat 'n' Kraut Supper in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p52
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Brat 'n' Kraut Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2012
"Great!I varied the recipe a little and left out the potatos. I use two 14 oz. Kielbasa (Hillshire Farms), 1 large pkg. of Kraut. I grill up the onionsand put them aside, then grill the sliced Kielbasa in the same pan. I put the chicken broth and other ingredients into the pan with some of the Kielbasa, swish it around to get all the bits off the bottom, then throw everything in the crock pot. Leave it on low for the day, and have supper ready when you get home!"
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2012
"I have been making this for the past few years (since it was published ) we love it!"