Brandy Pear Pie Recipe
I tapped into my French heritage for this recipe by incorporating Calvados, an apple brandy from the Normandy region of France. The sweet filling is balanced out by a buttery crust making for an indulgent treat.—Nicole Jackson, Beverly, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup apple brandy
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed peeled fresh pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, cook raisins in brandy for 13-15 minutes or until raisins are plump. Strain, reserving liquid. Set raisins aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add the pears, lemon juice, reserved raisins and 1/2 teaspoon of reserved liquid.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edges. Add pear filling; dot with butter.
- 5. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 45-55 minutes or until bubbly. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 542 calories, 26 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC