The chewy slices of this bread get a little crunch from the grain.—Corbin Detgen, Buchanan, Michigan
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside. In another bowl, combine boiling water, oil, sugar and salt; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cold water and bran. Stir into yeast mixture. Add whole flour and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down; cover and let rest for 8 minutes. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Bran Yeast Bread in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p53
Reviews for Bran Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review