I am a retired Extension Home Economist and I bake almost every day. Some of my baking ends up at the Ronald McDonald house with the familys staying there while sick family members are being treated in local hospitals.—Lucile Cline, Wichita, Kansas
- 3/4 cup All-Bran
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine bran and boiling water; set aside. In another bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and salt. Add egg and yeast mixture; mix well. Add bran mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half; divide each half into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place balls into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Bran Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p128
Reviews for Bran Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review