Bran Knot Rolls Recipe
"I save time by using my bread machine to mix the dough for these rolls," writes Rosalea Hoeft of Kimball, Minnesota. "Full of bran flavor, they come out of the oven with a tender crust every time."
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bran flakes
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 14 pieces; roll each into a rope. Tie into a knot; pinch ends and tuck under.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Brush with egg white. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 14 rolls.
Originally published as Bran Knot Rolls in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p46
Reviews for Bran Knot Rolls(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 1, 2013
this an excellent dinner roll recipe and they always disappear in a hurry