Bran Griddle Cakes Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup All-Bran
- ORANGE SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat egg; stir in milk, orange peel and bran. Let stand for 1-2 minutes or until bran is softened. Add to dry ingredients; mix well.
- 2. Pour by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot nonstick griddle; turn when bubbles from on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- 3. For syrup, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually stir in orange juice, butter and orange peel. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Remove from the heat; stir in chopped orange. Serve with pancakes. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (2 pancakes with 2-1/2 tablespoons syrup) equals 272 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 432 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fruit.
Reviews for Bran Griddle Cakes
"My son and husband loved these pancakes. The added bran was a nice touch!"