Bran Griddle Cakes Recipe
You'd never guess there's bran in these moist, tasty pancakes that are drizzled with a sweet orange sauce. "My children are grown, but they still request this for breakfast when they come home," writes Marie Cockerham of Rock Hill, South Carolina. Your family will surely flip over these flapjacks, too!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup All-Bran
- ORANGE SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat egg; stir in milk, orange peel and bran. Let stand for 1-2 minutes or until bran is softened. Add to dry ingredients; mix well.
- Pour by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot nonstick griddle; turn when bubbles from on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- For syrup, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually stir in orange juice, butter and orange peel. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in chopped orange. Serve with pancakes. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Bran Griddle Cakes in Light & Tasty August/September 2001, p13
Reviews for Bran Griddle Cakes(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2010
My son and husband loved these pancakes. The added bran was a nice touch!