Bran Banana Muffins Recipe
Several years ago I experimented with a banana muffin recipe by adding bran cereal. I loved the results and have been making this flavorful version ever since. Try replacing the chocolate chips and nuts with chopped dates for a delicious change of pace. -Alyce Wyman, Pembina, North Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups raisin bran
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, bananas and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in the cereal, chocolate chips and pecans.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 199 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 238 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC