Braised Winter Vegetables Recipe
Try these flavorful root vegetables simmered in a seasoned broth from our Test Kitchen. The good-for-you blend makes a comforting side dish with hearty entrees and roasts.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the vegetables and seasonings. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Uncover and increase heat to medium-high; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 92 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC