Braised Turkey Thighs Recipe
Folks who enjoy dark meat will appreciate this treatment for turkey thighs. An oven bag keeps them nice and moist during baking. Little bits of vegetables add taste and texture to the flavorful gravy.Loretta Paulus, Venice, Florida
- 1 cup each finely chopped onion, celery and carrots
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pounds turkey thighs
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine onion, celery, carrots, ketchup, salt, paprika and pepper. Pat onto turkey thighs. Place 1 tablespoon flour in oven bag; shake to coat. Transfer turkey thighs to oven bag.
- Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine broth, wine or additional broth, oregano and bay leaves. Put into bag; seal. Cut 2 slits into the top of the bag. Bake 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° and turkey juices run clear.
- Remove turkey to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour pan juices into a small saucepan; skim fat and discard bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1-3/4 cups.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove skin and bones from turkey; cut turkey into slices. Serve gravy with turkey. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Braised Turkey Thighs in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Braised Turkey Thighs(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >