Braised Southwest Beef Roast Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 beef eye of round roast (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and oregano; rub over roast. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Remove from the pan.
- 2. Gradually add broth, stirring to loosen any browned bits from pan. Stir in salsa, water and bay leaf; return meat to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is fork-tender.
- 3. Set meat aside and keep warm. Bring pan juices to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 1-1/3 cups; skim fat. Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce with meat. Yield: 5 servings.
5 ounces cooked beef with 1/4 cup sauce equals 255 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 451 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Braised Southwest Beef Roast
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.