Braised Short Ribs with Gravy Recipe
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh oregano sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown ribs in oil in batches. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the drippings, saute the celery, carrots, onion, red pepper and garlic until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- 3. Return ribs to the pan. Add broth, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf and remaining pepper; bring to a boil.
- 4. Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove ribs and keep warm. Discard herbs. Skim fat from pan juices; thicken if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 pound with about 3/4 cup pan juices and vegetables equals 274 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 429 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Braised Short Ribs with Gravy
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.