This recipe can be finished in a slow cooker which makes it very helpful during those very busy days.—Susan Kinsella, East Falmouth, Massachusetts
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh oregano sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown ribs in oil in batches. Remove and set aside.
- In the drippings, saute the celery, carrots, onion, red pepper and garlic until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Return ribs to the pan. Add broth, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf and remaining pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove ribs and keep warm. Discard herbs. Skim fat from pan juices; thicken if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Braised Short Ribs in Reminisce August/September 2009, p54
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Braised Short Ribs with Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review