Braised Pork with Tomatillos Recipe
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 15 tomatillos, husks removed, and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1. In a dry small skillet over medium heat, toast coriander and cumin seeds until aromatic, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Crush seeds using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle; set aside.
- 2. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove and set aside. Add tomatillos and onion to the pan; saute until tomatillos are tender and lightly charred. Add the garlic and crushed spices; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Add wine stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth and return roast to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until pork is tender.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Serve with pork. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked pork with 1/2 cup cooked polenta equals 516 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 2,139 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Reviews for Braised Pork with Tomatillos
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.