Braised Pork Stew Recipe
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen vegetables for stew
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper; add 3 tablespoons flour and toss to coat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown pork. Drain if necessary. Stir in vegetables, broth, garlic, mustard and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until pork and vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix remaining flour and water until smooth; stir into stew. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 275 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 671 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.