Braised Pork Chops
"I'm always looking for recipes that are low-calorie and sugar- and salt-free to fix for my husbandhe's diabetic and prone to high blood pressure," writes Shirley Antaya of Arab, Alabama, who shared the recipe for these tender chops.
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Combine seasonings; sprinkle over pork chops. In a nonstick skillet,
- cook chops in oil until browned on both sides. Add water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until
- tender. Remove meat and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and broth
- until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over pork chops. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pork chop with 2 tablespoons gravy equals 180 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot