Braised Lamb Shanks
From El Sobrante, California, Billie Moss says of this satisfying one-pot meal, "The meat becomes so tender and savory after simmering with the vegetables and herbs."
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 lamb shanks (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, brown lamb in oil; remove and set aside. Add the
- onion and garlic; saute until tender. Stir in flour; cook and stir
- for 1 minute. Add bouillon and water; stir to dissolve.
- Return lamb to pan. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is
- tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 599 calories, 34 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 159 mg cholesterol, 1,568 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 47 g protein.