Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe
From El Sobrante, California, Billie Moss says of this satisfying one-pot meal, "The meat becomes so tender and savory after simmering with the vegetables and herbs."
- 2 lamb shanks (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, brown lamb in oil; remove and set aside. Add the onion and garlic; saute until tender. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add bouillon and water; stir to dissolve.
- Return lamb to pan. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Braised Lamb Shanks in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p17
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Braised Lamb Shanks(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review