- 1 pkg Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage links, coin sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive Oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1” chunks
- 4 small parsnips, cut into 1” chunks
- 8 oz. baby bella or white button mushrooms, halved
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1” chunks
- 3 cups chopped swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 can (28 oz.) Italian plum tomatoes (in juice)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until slightly soft. Add sausage links to pan; cook 12-14 minutes or until sausage is browned and almost cooked through. Remove sausage links to cutting board and allow them to cool before coin slicing.
- Stir in carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, celery and Swiss chard into the Dutch oven. Add the barley, tomatoes, stock, wine, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add sliced sausage to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer for up to 1 hour or until the barley is cooked. Serve with crusty Italian bread. Yield: Serves 6.
Originally published as Braised Italian Sausage Stew in Johnsonville® Sausage
Reviews for Braised Italian Sausage Stew(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 8, 2013
I love Johnsonville!! I did use what I had on hand. So substituted turnips for parsnips and kale for the chard. Sooo delish. No leftovers!
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Stews >
- Johnsonville® >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Stew Recipes >