Braised Hanukkah Brisket Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown brisket on both sides. Remove from pan.
- 2. Add celery, carrots and onions to same pan; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- 3. Return brisket to pan, fat side up. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove beef and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from pan juices. If desired, thicken juices.
- 4. Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and pan juices. Yield: 12 servings (4 cups vegetables).
4 ounces cooked meat with 1/3 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup juices: 247 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Braised Hanukkah Brisket
"This has wonderful flavor and is my new "go to" pot roast recipe! I served it with extra horseradish on the side. I'd like to try this in the crock pot next time."
"I love this recipe. !!! I added 1/4 cup of honey to this. It really added another demention of flavor !!!"