Braised Brussels Sprouts
Caraway, onion, bacon and chicken broth dress up these wonderful brussels sprouts.—Yvonne Anderson, New Philadelphia, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Trim Brussels sprout stems; using a paring knife, cut an "X" in the
- bottom of each. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a
- boil. Add sprouts; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir onion in bacon drippings until tender. Stir in
- remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, until liquid is almost evaporated. Add Brussels sprouts;
- stir in bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 91 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 vegetable.