Braised Beef and Mushrooms Recipe
Knowing folks on restricted diets need to please their taste buds, too, our home economists came up with this flavorful treatment for beef. Bits of vegetables in a hearty wine-flavored sauce make the meat moist and delicious. Even without salt, it's a mouthwatering choice for dinner!
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped turnip
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons sodium-free beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a large nonstick saucepan, brown meat in oil; drain. Remove meat from pan; set aside. In same pan, cook turnip and onion for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until turnips are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the wine or broth, water, tomato paste, bouillon granules, horseradish, tarragon and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Return meat to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Braised Beef and Mushrooms in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p23
Reviews for Braised Beef and Mushrooms(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >