Braised & Creamy Vidalia Onions
In Georgia where sweet Vidalia onions are king, I make big batches of creamy onions as a side dish for grilled chicken and beef. — Elaine Opitz, Marietta, Georgia
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 10 cups sliced Vidalia or other sweet onions (about 5 onions)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; stir in honey until
- blended. Add onions, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, covered, 15-18 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 15-20 minutes or until liquid
- is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream; cook 3-5
- minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 242 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.