In Georgia where sweet Vidalia onions are king, I make big batches of creamy onions as a side dish for grilled chicken and beef. — Elaine Opitz, Marietta, Georgia
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 10 cups sliced Vidalia or other sweet onions (about 5 onions)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; stir in honey until blended. Add onions, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-18 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 15-20 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Braised & Creamy Vidalia Onions in Taste of Home November 2013
Reviews for Braised & Creamy Vidalia Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review