- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 10 cups sliced Vidalia or other sweet onions (about 5 onions)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; stir in honey until blended. Add onions, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-18 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 15-20 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Braised & Creamy Vidalia Onions
Sort By :
I love this simple dish. The onions are so sweet and creamy. We love them with some garlic cloves added in. You can keep the garlic cloves whole and pull them out at the end for the flavor without the worry of someone getting a mouth full of garlic.
Made these today to compliment prime rib roast for Christmas. Super yummy. I did not have honey on hand, so I used maple syrup (real) instead. hubby said they were a touch sweet, but I liked them. I let mine sit on the stove top for about 1.5 hours (with lid on the pan) before adding the cream.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Side Dish Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >