Braided Sweetheart Cookies Recipe
Everyone had a "hay day" when our daughter, Naomi, married Philip Shellenberg. Naomi's grandma, Lilly Person, who has made these tender cookies for 48 years, fixed them in the shape of hearts for the wedding. They got gobbled up in a "heartbeat".
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half; tint one portion pink, leaving the remaining portion white. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 3. For each cookie, shape a 1-in. ball of each color into an 8-in. rope. Place a pink and white rope side-by-side; press together gently and twist. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; shape into a heart and pinch ends to seal.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 8-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 147 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC