Braided Pizza Loaf Recipe
Working women can take the frozen bread dough out in the morning and then prepare this hearty loaf when they get home. It's important to let the filling cool completely before spreading on the dough.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Melted butter
- 1. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Cool completely. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling lengthwise down center third of rectangle. Sprinkle cheeses over filling.
- 4. On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Brush with butter.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 234 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 687 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC