Braided Pizza Loaf Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Melted butter
- 1. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Cool completely. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling lengthwise down center third of rectangle. Sprinkle cheeses over filling.
- 4. On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Brush with butter.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 234 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein
Reviews for Braided Pizza Loaf
"We really liked this! It is so easy using the store bought dough, but I also love it with my homemade dough."
"My family loves this! 5 kids and not one complains about it! I use 2 cloves of garlic minced and basil. I also make my own pizza dough - it's easy! The secret to good pizza dough is 1/2 C of semolina flour. One batch gives us just enough with no leftovers. Excellent for the busy week nights."