Braided Orange Wreath Recipe
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add the eggs, orange juice and peel; beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 30-in. rope. Braid the ropes; shape into a wreath and pinch ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peel; drizzle over bread. Sprinkle with cranberries. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 308 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Braided Orange Wreath
"This was my first bake with yeast. My finished "wreath" looked NOTHING like the picture, BUT the taste was AMAZING! I struggled braiding the dough, so it didn't even resemble a braid or circle when I took it out of the oven but again the taste was so delicious I easily got over the retarded wreath look. It reminded me of Challah bread taste wit orange flavor. It's not the most easy thing to make but because of the taste I gave it 5 stars and will definitely try making it again. NOTE: I did add a couple drops of orange essence and I also had very sweet and juicy oranges."