Braided Orange Wreath Recipe
All eyes will turn to this gorgeous braid when it is set on the table. This orange-scented bread will disappear in no time.—Shirley Warren, Thiensville, Wisconsin
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add the eggs, orange juice and peel; beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 30-in. rope. Braid the ropes; shape into a wreath and pinch ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peel; drizzle over bread. Sprinkle with cranberries. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 308 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC