- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8
- minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and
- let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the dates, water, pecans, sugar and lemon juice in
- a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, 7-8
- minutes. Stir in preserves; let cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn on a lightly floured surface; divide into
- thirds. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Place on
- greased baking sheets. Spread a third of filling down the center
- third of each rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in.-wide strips 1-3/4 in. into center.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across
- filling; seal ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans
- to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over
- braids. Yield: 3 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 181 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.