Braided Cardamom Rings Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8-3/4 to 9-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- LEMON ICING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Red and green candied cherries, halved, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, egg, sugar, cardamom and salt and 6 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into three portions. Shape each portion into a 24-in. long rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Form into a ring; pinch edges tightly together. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire racks.
- 5. For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; spoon over rings, allowing icing to drizzle down the sides. Decorate with cherries if desired. Yield: 2 coffee cakes.
1 piece: 231 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Braided Cardamom Rings
"I have made this for Christmas breakfast many times. I just saved it to my online cookbook for this Christmas. Very easy and freezes well."