Braided Bread Recipe
- 8 to 9 cups bread flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Sesame or poppy seeds
- 1. In a bowl, combine 5 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Heat water, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed. Separate one egg; refrigerate the egg white. Add egg yolk and remaining eggs to yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a rope about 18 in. long. Sprinkle two greased baking sheets with cornmeal; place three ropes on each baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends firmly and tuck under. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Beat cold water and reserved egg white; brush over the dough. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 134 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Braided Bread
"I made this with Thanksgiving dinner and it was excellent."
"I've made this several times and it has an excellent taste and texture and looks beautiful too. Be sure you cook it long enough though or it'll be doughy inside."