- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, lemon peel and
- salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to
- 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Add
- the egg, egg yolk and 1/2 cup flour; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in
- enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5
- minutes. Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Punch dough down.
- Divide into three pieces; roll each into a 24-in. x 4-in. rectangle.
- In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients. Spread over dough to
- within 1 in. of edges. Roll up, starting with a long side; pinch
- seams to seal. Place ropes on a floured surface; gently braid. Place
- in a well-greased 10-in. tube pan. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let
- rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg with water; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 35-40
- minutes. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack. Combine the first
- five glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm braid. Top with almonds.
- Yield: 1 coffee cake (16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 282 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.