Box-of-Chocolates Cupcakes Recipe
Who wants a regular box of chocolates when you can have these decadent chocolate cupcakes? The different fillings prove that you never know what you're going to get! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups strong brewed coffee
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, divided
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons corn syrup, divided
- Paste food coloring of your choice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, coffee, eggs and oil; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full.
- 2. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, in top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, melt chocolate with sugar and 3 tablespoons coffee, stirring until sugar is dissolved (mixture will be thick). Whisk in egg yolks; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°.
- 4. Divide mixture among three small bowls. Stir orange juice concentrate into one bowl. Stir Nutella and cream into another; stir remaining coffee into the third bowl. Fold 1/2 cup whipped topping into each. Chill 10 minutes.
- 5. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a very small pastry tip. Transfer one filling to bag. With a metal or wooden skewer, poke a hole through bottom of paper liner. Insert tip through hole; pipe filling into eight cupcakes. Repeat with remaining fillings and cupcakes.
- 6. For ganache, place chocolates in separate small bowls. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour 1/2 cup cream over bittersweet chocolate; pour remaining cream over white chocolate. Stir mixtures with a whisk until smooth.
- 7. Stir 2 teaspoons corn syrup into bittersweet ganache and 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup into white ganache. Cool bittersweet ganache 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Tint white ganache as desired; refrigerate, covered, until thickened.
- 8. Dip tops of cupcakes in bittersweet ganache. Pipe designs using white or tinted ganache. Refrigerate until set. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cupcake equals 285 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC