Box-of-Chocolates Cupcakes Recipe
Who wants a regular box of chocolates when you can have these decadent chocolate cupcakes? The different fillings prove that you never know what you're going to get! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups strong brewed coffee
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, divided
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons corn syrup, divided
- Paste food coloring of your choice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, coffee, eggs and oil; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full.
- 2. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, in top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, melt chocolate with sugar and 3 tablespoons coffee, stirring until sugar is dissolved (mixture will be thick). Whisk in egg yolks; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°.
- 4. Divide mixture among three small bowls. Stir orange juice concentrate into one bowl. Stir Nutella and cream into another; stir remaining coffee into the third bowl. Fold 1/2 cup whipped topping into each. Chill 10 minutes.
- 5. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a very small pastry tip. Transfer one filling to bag. With a metal or wooden skewer, poke a hole through bottom of paper liner. Insert tip through hole; pipe filling into eight cupcakes. Repeat with remaining fillings and cupcakes.
- 6. For ganache, place chocolates in separate small bowls. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour 1/2 cup cream over bittersweet chocolate; pour remaining cream over white chocolate. Stir mixtures with a whisk until smooth.
- 7. Stir 2 teaspoons corn syrup into bittersweet ganache and 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup into white ganache. Cool bittersweet ganache 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Tint white ganache as desired; refrigerate, covered, until thickened.
- 8. Dip tops of cupcakes in bittersweet ganache. Pipe designs using white or tinted ganache. Refrigerate until set. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cupcake equals 285 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC