- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups strong brewed coffee
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, divided
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons corn syrup, divided
- Paste food coloring of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, coffee, eggs and oil; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, melt chocolate with sugar and 3 tablespoons coffee, stirring until sugar is dissolved (mixture will be thick). Whisk in egg yolks; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°.
- Divide mixture among three small bowls. Stir orange juice concentrate into one bowl. Stir Nutella and cream into another; stir remaining coffee into the third bowl. Fold 1/2 cup whipped topping into each. Chill 10 minutes.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a very small pastry tip. Transfer one filling to bag. With a metal or wooden skewer, poke a hole through bottom of paper liner. Insert tip through hole; pipe filling into eight cupcakes. Repeat with remaining fillings and cupcakes.
- For ganache, place chocolates in separate small bowls. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour 1/2 cup cream over bittersweet chocolate; pour remaining cream over white chocolate. Stir mixtures with a whisk until smooth.
- Stir 2 teaspoons corn syrup into bittersweet ganache and 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup into white ganache. Cool bittersweet ganache 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Tint white ganache as desired; refrigerate, covered, until thickened.
- Dip tops of cupcakes in bittersweet ganache. Pipe designs using white or tinted ganache. Refrigerate until set. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Box-of-Chocolates Cupcakes
Sort By :
"Will do for sons family for v day"
"Very time consuming and messy but well worth it. I used Grande Marinae to replace the Orange Juice"
"I have made this recipe about 3 times - last Christmas, for a birthday, and one day just 'cuz. THey are WONDERFUL! Making them tomorrow to take to mom's for Thanksgiving :) I would like to figure out a filling that has a spicy/chipotle flavor - that would be awesome...."
"used peppermint extract to make one of the filling instead of oj, my husband loved the hazelnut filling. I liked the filling would probably skip the Ganache and make my own frosting next time."
"Proportions were off, and too labor-intensive."