- 3 cups bow tie pasta
- 1 pkg (19 oz) Johnsonville® Sweet Italian Sausage, (casings removed)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 28 oz. can plum tomatoes (Italian style, drained and coarsely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups light Cream
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- *Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh basil or shaved parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 8-10 minutes, or until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add decased sausage to skillet and crumble with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add red pepper flakes and continue sautéing until sausage is no longer pink. Add onion and garlic to skillet and continue until onion softens. Stir in tomatoes and salt,(if using fresh tomatoes sauté them for 3 minutes until softened) then add light cream and parmesan cheese; simmer gently until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes). Stir in the cooked pasta and basil and heat through, about 3 minutes. Yield: Serves 4-6.
Reviews for Bowties with Italian Sausage in a Cream Basil Sauce(2)
Sort By :
My mom and I really enjoyed this recipe! It was really quick and easy and tasted great! Unlike the other reviewer, I thought the amount of pasta was correct. The sausage is what really makes this dish different and unique. Ground beef would have not produced the same result. I added red bell pepper in addition to the other ingredients and I think it helped add to this dish. It's a keeper!
My whole family loves this dish. I originally found it while looking for a way to use my fresh basil plant.
The only modifications I made are using a little more pasta (the whole box, which is about 4 cups) and I just use a can of diced tomatoes.