Bow Ties with Walnut-Herb Pesto Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat bow tie pasta
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, place the arugula, parsley, basil, cheese, salt and pepper flakes in a food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add walnuts; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- 3. Drain pasta, reserving 3 tablespoons cooking water. In a large bowl, toss pasta with pesto, tomato and reserved water. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 323 calories, 17 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fat, 2 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.