Bow Tie Wheat Rolls Recipe
These are such cute rolls and will impress your guests at your next dinner party. They have a wonderful whole wheat flavor.—Cindy Morris, Coyle, Oklahoma
- 3 tablespoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 5 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9-1/2 to 10 cups whole wheat flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the honey, oil, salt and 6 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Divide dough into four portions. Roll three portions into 12-in. x 5-in. rectangles. Cut each into twelve 2-1/2-in. x 2-in. rectangles. Roll remaining dough into an 18-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Cut into thirty-six 1/2-in.-wide strips.
- 4. To form bow ties, wrap a strip around the center of each rectangle. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Pinch centers to shape like bow ties. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 roll equals 165 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC