- 3 tablespoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 5 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9-1/2 to 10 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the honey, oil, salt and 6 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough into four portions. Roll three portions into 12-in. x 5-in. rectangles. Cut each into twelve 2-1/2-in. x 2-in. rectangles. Roll remaining dough into an 18-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Cut into thirty-six 1/2-in.-wide strips.
- To form bow ties, wrap a strip around the center of each rectangle. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Pinch centers to shape like bow ties. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Bow Tie Wheat Rolls
Sort By :
"I haven't made rolls or any kind of yeast bread in years. I did not make the dough into bow ties, but just made regular round rolls. This recipe made 66 rolls. I have lots to freeze or share. The rolls were not heavy as expected, but very tasty. My husband loved them. I'll get the reaction from the rest of my family at Sunday dinner tomorrow. I used very good whole wheat flour--"Wheat Montana, Bronze Chief 100% whole wheat flour."