Shaped right for a festive shower (or any kind of fun affair), this delicious dessert is an eye-catcher. Shared by Fran Sprain of Westfield, Wisconsin, the moist cake is overflowing with luscious chocolate flavor. What's more, it's a lot of fun to cut, ice and arrange in bow tie form, as we have here. Or, if you like, serve it straight from the pan.
Featured In: 37 Awesome Ways to Love Pumpkin
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 8 to 10 tablespoons hot water
- White decorator's icing
- Round and star pastry tips
- Assorted fruit, optional
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut cake into six rows, with seven 3-1/4-in. x 1-3/4-in. diamonds in each row (two rows are shown in diagram below). Place diamonds on a rack with a piece of waxed paper beneath.
- For glaze, melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan or microwave. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar and water. Stir in additional water if needed to achieve a drizzling consistency. Spoon glaze evenly over top and sides of diamonds, letting excess drip off. Allow glaze to dry; repeat with a second coat. (Glaze may need to be warmed periodically to keep the proper consistency). When glaze is dry, place two diamonds tip to tip on dessert plates.
- Using decorator's tip, make the knot in the center of the bow tie. Garnish plates with fruit if desired. Yield: 21 servings.
Originally published as Bow Tie Cakes in Country Woman May/June 1997, p11
Reviews for Bow Tie Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review