- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked bow tie pasta
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. With a spoon, press pasta into broth mixture. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the beef mixture, tomatoes and basil to the broth mixture; heat through. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Bow Tie Beef Soup
"It was nice to find a soup recipe that called for fresh ingredients, instead of all canned ingredients. The flavor was good, but still seemed to be missing something, so we added a couple tablespoons of tomato paste and some salt and pepper to the pot. My husband added tobasco sauce to his own bowl. I think we could have gotten away with less meat (and we're meat eaters) and more broth. I also ended up using a quart of broth to make it "soupy"."