Bountiful Loaves Recipe
This healthy, rustic bread fills you up. It’s delicious as is or with dried cranberries instead of raisins. —Jennifer Ferro, Drumheller, Alberta
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the whole wheat flour, oats, oat bran, wheat germ, flaxseed, egg, oil, salt, 1 cup all-purpose flour and remaining sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in the sunflower kernels, raisins and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two round loaves. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 133 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Bountiful Loaves
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC