- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the whole wheat flour, oats, oat bran, wheat germ, flaxseed, egg, oil, salt, 1 cup all-purpose flour and remaining sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in the sunflower kernels, raisins and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two round loaves. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Bountiful Loaves
"Very good. I didn't have any wheat germ so I used wheat bran instead. Used brown sugar instead of white. Added a bit of cinnamon - thought that it went well with the raisins. To the previous comment about it being dry - I added an extra egg because of your comment. I don't know if that is what made the difference or not, but it didn't come out dry."
"This is a great bread! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I thought it was just a little dry. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to moisten it up a little. I loved the flavor and am afraid to mess with the recipe because I don't want to change that."