- cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before
- removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For custard, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir
- in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened
- and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from
- the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return
- all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook
- and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room
- temperature without stirring. In a small bowl, cream butter.
- Gradually beat in custard.
- To assemble, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place bottom layers
- on two serving plates; spread with filling. Replace cake tops. In a
- small bowl, beat the frosting ingredients. Spread over top of cakes.
- Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cake equals 931 calories, 42 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 512 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium, 126 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.