A vanilla custard is sandwiched between tender, cake-like cookies. With their shiny chocolate glaze, these bite-size cookies remind me of Boston Cream Pie. —Evangeline Bradford, Erlanger, Kentucky
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a small bowl. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, egg, vanilla and lemon peel. Combine the cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread custard over the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
- For glaze, place chocolate and butter in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate and butter; whisk until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cookies; let dry completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Boston Cream Pie Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p120
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Boston Cream Pie Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review