Boston Brown Bread Recipe
Baking this bread in coffee cans lends to its interesting shape. At Christmas, I often make gift boxes for friends and family featuring this bread and various spreads.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- Butter or cream cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar. Add molasses and buttermilk; mix well. Combine the flours, salt and baking soda; stir into egg mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 80-85 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve with butter or cream cheese if desired. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Boston Brown Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p26
Reviews for Boston Brown Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 21, 2012
I have baked this recipe twice using 4 15oz coffee cans. Following the directions exactly and baking for 75 minutes I have 4 beautiful traditional loaves to slice for covered dish dinners or home consumption. Absolutely delicious.