Boston Baked Beans Recipe
Simmered in molasses, these beans are perfect to take to your next potluck. The sauce is sweet, dark and rich and they complement anything you serve with them.—Darlene Duncan, Langhorne, Pennsylvania
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1/4 pound diced salt pork or 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker; add 4 cups water. Cover and let stand overnight.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to slow cooker; add salt pork.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the onion, brown sugar, molasses, sugar, mustard, salt, cloves, pepper and remaining water. Pour mixture over beans; stir to combine.
- 4. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or until beans are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
2/3 cup equals 331 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC