Booties 'n' Rattles Cake Recipe
When Mary Cicio expects a crowd to appear at her house at Youngwood, Pennsylvania, she's sure she adds this cake to the menu. "It's easy to make and feeds a bunch," she says. You can simply frost it, or follow the easy instructions here to bring forth an adorably adorned dessert for a baby shower!
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups buttercream frosting
- Pink and blue food coloring
- Let separated eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and orange peel; beat well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be thick). In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff. Fold into batter.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a 15-in. x 12-in. covered board.
- Place 3/4 cup frosting in each of two small bowls; tint one pastel pink and one pastel blue. Set aside 2-1/2 cups frosting for trim and border. Cover and set bowls aside. Frost cake with remaining frosting.
- Using dental floss or a sharp knife, mark a straight line lengthwise down the center of the cake. Mark additional lengthwise straight lines, dividing the cake into four equal sections. Mark five lines widthwise, dividing the cake into a total of 24 squares.
- For booties, insert plain pastry tip # 8 into a pastry bag or a plastic bag with small hole; add pink frosting. In alternating squares, pipe an elongated dot, raising up at one end to form the heel.
- For rattles, use plain tip #8 and blue frosting. In each of the empty squares, pipe one large dot and one small dot, leaving 3/4 in. between dots. Use plain tip #2 and blue frosting to pipe a line connecting the dots.
- For trim, use plain tip #2 and reserved white frosting. Pipe a bow and trim on each bootie and a bow on each rattle.
- Use star tip #20 to pipe rows of white shells on top of the straight lines. Pipe a row of shells around top and bottom edges of cake. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Booties 'n' Rattles Cake in Country Woman May/June 1999, p41
Reviews for Booties 'n' Rattles Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review