This cute boot cake is easily shaped from pieces of a 9-inch x 13-inch cake. I tinted some of the cream cheese frosting to pipe on details. It was a fitting and delicious centerpiece for our cowboy buffet.
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring of your choice
- Skittles bite-size candies
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper.
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using prepared pan. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap and freeze overnight.
- Cover a 20-in. x 15-in. board with gift wrap or foil. Level cake top.
- To make boot, beginning from a short side, cut a 2-in.-wide strips. Cut strip into two pieces, one 5-1/2 in. x 2 in. and one 2-1/2 in. x 2 in. Cut a 10-in. x 2-1/2-in. strip from the large rectangle.
- To assemble base of boot, center the 10-in. x 2-1/2-in. piece widthwise on board 5 in. from bottom. Place remaining large rectangle on the right side, forming a backward L. Place the 2-1/2-in. x 2-in. piece under the long strip, forming the heal, and place remaining strip on the other side, forming the sole. Using a serrated knife, round corners of boot toe, sole, heal and top.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Set aside 1 cup. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Tint reserved frosting desired color. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip. Fill bag with tinted frosting.
- Outline boot shape along bottom and top edges of cake. Fill in heel and toe on cake top, smoothing with a metal icing spatula. With remaining frosting and Skittles, decorate boot as desired. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Cowboy Boot Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p37
Reviews for Boot Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review