- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup strawberry jelly
- Red food coloring, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the flour, almonds, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Add the vanilla, cream of tartar, salt and, if desired, food coloring to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour mixture.
- Cut a 1/2-in. hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag. Fill bag with egg white mixture. Pipe 4-in. logs onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Pipe two 1/2-in. balls at both ends of each log. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the cream, chocolate chips and jelly. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals until melted; stir until smooth. Tint red if desired. Cool to room temperature and serve with bones. Refrigerate leftover sauce. Yield: 40 cookies (2 cups sauce).
Reviews for Bones & Blood
"The dough was hard to manipulate. They did not look like the picture. They didn't taste very good. A case of looked better in the picture than in real life."
"I made these last year. The sauce didn't come out so red (the chocolate color overpowered color-wise). However, they were very very delicious!"