- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (green part only)
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Plum sauce
- Cut enough water chestnut slices in half to make 60 pieces; set aside. Save remaining water chestnuts slices for another use.
- In a large bowl, combine the next 10 ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Divide into 60 portions and shape each portion around a water chestnut piece.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute meatballs in oil in batches 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Serve with plum sauce. Yield: 5 dozen.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Bone-Crunching Meatballs
"These were a huge it at my halloween party! Easy to make and absolutely delicious! No one cared for the plum sauce, so I may use sweet and sour sauce next year. The meatballs are delicious alone without a sauce as well. this year, I am planning to triple the receipe because they went so fast last year!"