Bombay Chicken Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 to 5 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and legs, skin removed
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first 11 ingredients. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack or coat with cooking spray before starting the grill. Drain and discard marinade.
- 3. Grill chicken, covered, over medium-hot heat for 10-15 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (4 ounces cooked dark meat) equals 255 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 344 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Reviews for Bombay Chicken
"Simple and tasty!"
"I have made this recipe a few times. It never disappoints. Moist and flavorful. It stands out from ordinary barbeque sauce."
"This is one of my favorite marinade recipes. I followed the recipe exactly. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts."
"This recipe has a great balance of heat and warmth from the spices that is not too overpowering. I used boneless chicken breasts, which turned out really moist and flavorful."
"I was really excited about this recipe. I did not grill it, so maybe that has something to do with the the lack of flavor. Instead, I cooked it in a large electric skillet. I also marinated for about 12 hrs. I might try it as the recipe states next time, but if it does not improve, I will not try it again."
"The marinate didn't stay on the chicken it just melted off. My chicken find,t have much flavor."
"This recipe was GREAT! We had a cookout at work today. My boss picked this one out of my magazine and I did all the prep yesterday. Needed two grills to cook all, but it was worth it! The only thing I changed was the skinless part of the chicken we all love the skin on chicken here! I guarantee I will be making this one again. Had to double the recipe to feed all, but it was wonderful!"
"I made this for myself at least a year ago.. and just made it for my folks and sister with her family. It went over real well.. but they requested that I make it with chicken breast instead. Both times that I made it, I baked it.. since I used chicken thigh, I cooked it at 350 degrees for 45 min. Yummy!"
"I made this while camping. I pulled the chicken out of the bag and put it into a grill basket, then onto the fire it went. It was very easy, and quite a tasty treat to have around a campfire!"
"I made this with boneless chicken breasts instead and marinated it for 48 hours. It was the best BBQ chicken we have ever had!This will definately be a regular summer recipe in our house!"
"This chicken had good flavor! Unfortunately my grill wasn't working last minute so I had to broil the chicken instead. I assumed this would have a spicier kick to it because of all the pepper seasonings it requires but I only tasted a hint of spiciness."
"I really enjoyed this recipe. It was tender, juicy, and had a very good flavor. This is a keeper."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.